How we collect your personal information and the types of personal information we collect
We may collect your personal information in several ways: from you directly when you deal with us including via our website, over the phone, face-to-face (e.g. at one of our agencies), by fax or email and by completing a hard copy or online form.
“Personal information” has the meaning given to that term in the Privacy Act and includes your name, date of birth, contact details (e.g. address, telephone number, e-mail address), bank account details and any other information that personally identifies you. We will not collect, use or disclose your sensitive information (such as information relating to race or ethnicity, criminal record, religious beliefs, sexuality and health information) unless such is necessary for us to perform our services or unless we are permitted or required by law to do so.
There may be instances where we collect personal information about you other than directly from you. Examples include:
- publically available information and databases;
- information from property developers;
- information from other agents and valuers; and
- information from market research companies contracted by us to assist in improving and/or marketing our services.
We may also obtain de-identified/anonymous information from your computer, without your knowledge, by way of cookies. A cookie is a piece of information that is put out by our web server that is stored on your computer. It does not identify you or give us access to your computer but it does enable our computer to recognise your computer each time you log in to our website and provide certain statistical information. You can set your computer not to accept or store cookies if you wish.
What we use your information for
- acting as an agent for vendors or purchasers in relation to the sale, purchase or valuation of a property;
- acting as an agent for the landlord in relation to the management, valuation or leasing of a property;
- acting as an agent for a tenant in relation to the leasing or valuation of a property;
- acting as auctioneers for the sale of a property;
- responding to client enquires and communicating with you, from time to time, to maintain contact and keep you updated on the services you have requested;
- forecasting future needs for our services, improving our services and general quality assurance;
- providing you with market research and promotional materials such as reports, newsletters, event invitations and/or property market information relating to our products and services which we believe may be of interest to you;
- engaging in legal proceedings and/or enforcing judgments and/or orders; and
- any other purposes identified at the time of collecting your personal information.
Third party disclosure
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. Such third parties include:
- our third party service providers, contractors consultants, agents and/or representatives (e.g. tradespersons, law firms, banks, financial institutions, insurers, IT providers and/or mortgage referral services providers) who provide services to us or on our behalf including to conduct valuations, market research, assist in obtaining payments from creditors and providing advice;
- potential buyers, tenants, real estate agents and brokers for the purposes for which the information was collected or for permitted secondary purposes;
- media organisations for the purposes of promoting us or our services;
- debt collection agencies;
- anyone authorised by you to deal with us on your behalf;
- any of our related companies;
- government and statutory authorities, law enforcement agencies, courts, tribunals and/or parties to legal proceeding or to which you have consented to share the relevant personal information or if we are permitted or required by law or court order to provide information to them; and
- any other third party or parties identified at the time of collecting your personal information.
We will not disclose your personal information to a third party for any other purpose, unless required or permitted by law to do so.
Access, update and correction of personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that any personal information held by us about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we require you to advise us of any changes to your personal information. If you are able to access your personal information via your online account that you have with us, we request that you ensure this information is kept accurate, complete, relevant and up-to-date.
You may request access to your personal information at any time by contacting us via our contact details below, including for the purpose of correcting or updating that information, unless otherwise required or permitted by law. There is no charge for making such a request or providing you access to your personal information. We will respond and deal with your request within a reasonable period of time from the time it is made.
If we refuse to provide you access we will provide you with a written noticed that outlines the reasons for the refusal.
Security of personal information
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss and from unauthorised access, alteration and disclosure. However, our data protection measures are not a guarantee of the security of your personal information. You must also take care to protect your personal information (for example, by protecting your login details such as your username and password).
Please notify us as soon as possible if you become aware of any security breaches.
Third party sites
What if you have a complaint?
Our contact details
For further information about the Privacy Act or to make a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner, please see the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at https://www.oaic.gov.au/.
Careers with BresicWhitney
For people considering a career at BresicWhitney – we welcome new conversation, open communication and real engagement.Find out more